As I mentioned yesterday, I have had a small project in the works. I thought I’d post some photos and a brief explanation of the project today. I’ve been working on a “blank Bible”–so named not because the Bible had all it’s words removed, but because it has many additional blank pages inserted for note-taking and outlining. The idea is an old one, and there are plenty of Bibles available that do a better job of providing a quality-bound, wide-margin, note-taker’s Bible, but I thought it would still be a good use of an ESV I’ve had sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. This particular ESV is the Thinline, and I picked it up at Costco for about $10 on a whim (which is a good deal considering its current price on Amazon).
If you want, you can click past the break for the pictures & project description.
Update: I added an electronic copy of the cover I created in Word. The link is at the bottom of the article.
So the basic approach was to take the Bible to Staples and ask them, “Can you chop the binding off a Bible and then rebind it?” They replied, without hesitation, “Sure. Why not?” This is far-and-away a much easier approach than Mr. Reinke’s (he recommends a table-saw and a pair of custom clamps.) The gentleman at the counter pulled out an X-Acto knife, and within five minutes had the Trutone (read: pleather) cover removed (though he preserved the front & back in case I wanted them) and the stitched binding sheared off. For an additional charge, he chopped a stack of printer paper to identical proportions, and I went home happy.
I spent that evening listening to the Golden Globes (I still can’t believe Inception lost to Facebook: The Movie), and sticking blank pages between every printed page, w/ a few extras at the front of each book (for outlines/key terms/author/date/etc), and after about 6 hours, I had the whole thing ready in three stacks.
Problem: Staples (and AlphaGraphics, and Kinkos) can’t ring-bind 2″ stacks made of tissue paper, so it was back to the table to break it out into five portions. I have it broken down into the Pentateuch, the Histories, the Wisdom Literature, the Prophets, and the New Testament. This feels good, and it binds well. I took it back to Staples yesterday and picked the whole thing up this morning. They had only two pages (at the beginning of Luke) kick out during the binding process, but they were able to re-insert those at the correct location.
As for the covers, I made those on Word because I’ve just got mad-skillz with Microsoft Word. I lifted the ESV logo from their site, which I think is probably fair-use, since I bought the Bible and since I’m going to add the following phrase to this page: You should buy an ESV Bible! There, that should cover any legal issues, probably.
The total cost of this project was right around $30. I paid a little extra to have the nice, leatherette backing board bound onto these volumes, and I’d recommend it if you’re considering a similar project. Total time invested–maybe 7 hours counting trips to and from the Staples. Let me know if you do something similar; I’d be interested in hearing how it turns out.
Grace & Peace,